embedded gcc PPC toolchain questions

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri May 30 06:21:19 EST 2003

In message <3ED657D0.4070200 at adtran.com> you wrote:

> Jerry Van Baren wrote:
> > As a piece of very important trivia, note that Wolfgang's example
> > initialized the variable in the declaration.  If you don't initialize the
> > variable, it won't end up in the desired section.  Yes, that is in the gcc
> > manuals, just easy to miss :-).
>
>   Thanks- I've been surprised by this cute little 'feature' on other
> compilers.  Discovering it the hard way was a 'fun' way to blow a
> day or two.  ;)

Actually it should be no big surprise. I  think  every  (?)  standard
conforming  C  compiler  will  put  uninitialized  data  into the BSS
segment (usually .bss in the linker scripts).

> P.S.  Looking through past postings, are gcc 2.95.3 and binutils-2.10.1
>        still the recommended versions for embedded use?  Has confidence
>        in more modern versions been established yet?  I'll choose
>        reliability over optimization every time, but i've heard of subtle
>        issues with 2.95.3 as well.

We used 2.95.3 a long time for the ELDK, now we use 2.95.4.

No problems were reported (yet).

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
There's no sense in being precise  when  you  don't  even  know  what
you're talking about.                             -- John von Neumann