getting Linux working on IBM Walnut demo board

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed May 28 05:53:08 EST 2003

Dear Brian,

in message <5.1.1.6.2.20030527114004.01282240 at corelis.com> you wrote:

> I'm trying to boot Linux on IBM Walnut demo board with PPC405GP.
> I download ELDK, installed it on a RedHat Linx 7.3 machine.
> I was able to build u-boot 3.0 which came with ELDK and it booted
> successfully on my demo board.

Fine.

> However, when I tried to rebuild the kernel (2.4.4 which came with ELDK) it
> gives me the following error.

This is a deficiency in the ELDK. For 4xx systems you need  a  recent
kernel.  I  recommend  the linuxppc_2_4_devel tree from the bitkeeper
archives, or from our CVS server.

> Also, the documentation on http://www.denx.de/doc/ seems a bit old (it
> still talks about ppcboot instead u-boot). Are there new ocuments or FAQ's
> for a newbie like me?

There aren't any significant differences between U-Boot  and  PPCboot
if  you're  working  on  PowerPC  systems.  We  are in the process of
setting up new documentation (as a wiki), but this  is  not  complete
yet.

If you have questions or problems, just ask, and we will help you.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Neckties strangle clear thinking.                       -- Lin Yutang