MPC8250 + PCMCIA + airo_cs card + IO Port mapping proble

Jim Rowe rowejames at acmsystems.com
Fri May 23 14:01:01 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 11:35, Jerry Van Baren wrote:
> Kernel memory space starts at 0xC0000000.  You need to set your I/O well
> above this (above the kernel executable).  It is illegal to have I/O below
> the kernel (its a memory management issue).  That is why the common IMMR
> setting is 0xF0000000.  I would suggest you try setting your PCI window at
> 0xF8000000 or something like that.
>
> gvb

Ok, thanks for the pointer. I've scooted my PCI IO space up in memory to
where I had room.

This is how my IO is now setup:

    pci_init_resource(&hose->io_resource,
                       0xd0000000,
                       0xdfffffff,
                       IORESOURCE_IO,
                       "PCI host bridge");

    pci_init_resource (&hose->mem_resources[0],
                        0x80000000,
                        0x803fffff,
                        IORESOURCE_MEM,
                        "PCI host bridge");

     hose->io_space.start = 0xd0000000;
     hose->io_space.end = 0xdfffffff;
     hose->mem_space.start = 0x7ff00000;
     hose->mem_space.end = 0x803fffff;
     hose->io_base_virt = (void *)0;

my _IO_BASE is now 0xd0000000 and I do

io_block_mapping(0xd0000000, 0xd0000000, 0x1000000, _PAGE_IO);

early when the board is getting setup.

I've also setup PCIBR0 and PCIBR1 in the boot loader to have windows of
0x80000000 to 0xbfffffff and 0xd0000000 to 0xdfffffff.

Now when I try to write to the PCMCIA card, I don't see anything go out
on the PCMCIA bus (write enable and chipselect don't change).  A printk
in the out_le16() routine shows that the address seems to be correct
(0xd00000102), but when I try to read from the card I get a Machine
Check Exception that is "Transfer ack error". I suspect that my IO
mapping is still not correct.

I know that the board is wired up correctly because the I am able to
read the card's CIS through io memory. Why aren't my IO Ports working?

-- James

Email: jrowe at acmsystems.com