Kernel parameters (Sandpoint X3 with Altimus MPC755)

Mark A. Greer mgreer at mvista.com
Wed May 21 08:45:40 EST 2003

dong in kang wrote:

> It turns out that BDI has a few different versions.
>BDI for Codewarrior, BDI for GDB, etc.
>I just heard from Codewarrior that BDI for Codewarrior doesn't support MMU,
>which means address translation is not supported.
>I have to buy BDI for GDB.

Ah, okay.

> About your question, I downloaded the zImage.initrd at 0x800000.
>I didn't turn on the default command line. Now I turn on the default command
>line as
> CONFIG_CMDLINE="mem=128M ramdisk_size=20480 console=ttyS0,9600 console=tty0
>root=/dev/ram init=/bin/sh"
>The Sandpoint X3 has 128M ram and my ramdisk size is 20M.
>It should be right, isn't it?

Nope.  Unless you have a new version of DINK that is fixed, it doesn't
set up the memory controller correctly for the RAM above 32MB.  There
should be comments indicating this in
arch/ppc/platforms/sandpoint_setup.c:sandpoint_find_end_of_memory() or
some such (since I don't know what version of MVL you're running).

Try it again with only this on your cmdline: "mem=32M" and see if that
helps.

Mark