What PCI specs will I need?

Conn Clark clark at esteem.com
Sat May 10 09:28:42 EST 2003

Ralph Blach wrote:
> Conn,
>
> The first thing to ask is what you want your bios to do? If you are
> making an adapter card,
> it will be much different than if you are. Linux for mot and IBM  have a
> pretty complete pci scan.

We will be building a small system that was two (mabey three) mini-PCI
slots.

> IBM supplies an open bios that also scans the PCI and does some setup.
>
> 1)will you have fixed devices on your device.  This makes pci setup much
> simpler.
> 2)pci is not that hard if you have a fixed number of devices.  A
> generalized pci scan
>   is very difficult.

Our system will only contain devices we choose to stick in it, so mabey
a complete scan isn't needed.

> Heres a books you can get from amazon.com
>
> PCI System Architecture (4th Edition) -- by Tom Shanley, et al; Paperback
> PCI & PCI-X Hardware and Software (Architecture and Design) -- by Ed
> Solari; Hardcover

Do either of these books contain all of the electrical characteristic
details ( such as impeadance, capacitiance, bus loading, etc) ?

> By the I work for IBM and have extensive experience with the 405. I have
> not worked with
> the Mot parts but to fair, I have very good things about it.

The IBM 405GP is not out of the running yet. If they had one with PCI,
an SPI, an I2c, two serial ports, and two 10/100Mbps ethernet ports it
would have won hands down for our aplication.

> You can get hardware questions answered about the 405 by contacting
> ppcsupp at us.ibm.com

Thats handy.

> MontaVista does the linux for both.
>
> Chip
>

> Conn Clark wrote:

<snip>

>> Conn

Thanks for the input

	Conn

   If you live at home long enough, your parents will move out.
  (Warning they may try to sell their house out from under you.)

Conn Clark
Engineering Stooge				clark at esteem.com
Electronic Systems Technology Inc.		www.esteem.com