Stack Frame Calc Problem in head_4xx.S

Gary D. Thomas gary.thomas at mind.be
Sun May 4 08:21:39 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-03 at 15:20, Jerry Walden wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I am having trouble understanding what is happening to my stack pointer.
>
> At line 1 r1 = 0x03f9_ebe8
>
> After line 15 executes r1 = 0xc00f4ff0
> which seems fine so far (according to the map file it is pointing to the
> proper location)
>
> After line 16 executes r1=0xc00f6ff0
> which is still within the bounds of init_task_union
>
> After line 17 execute r1 = 0xc00f6fe0 which seems like a problem to me,
> because it is not with the
> bounds of init_task_union - (see map file below)

Why do you think this?  It seems that init_task_union comprises the
space from 0xc00f4ff0..0xc00f6ff0.  That value is certainly within
that range.

> I would expect r1 to be within the bounds of init_task_union after this code
> is executed -
> is my guess correct?  If so how is it possible that line 17 comes up with
> the result
> that it did?

Read how 'stwu' works.  After the store takes place, r1 is updated
with the new value.  In other words
  stwu r0,-STACK_FRAME_OVERHEAD(r1)
means
  [r1] = r0
  r1 = r1 - STACK_FRAME_OVERHEAD(r1)
which is exactly the results you are getting.

--
Gary D. Thomas <gary.thomas at mind.be>