Flash File System Concerns

Gary D. Thomas gary.thomas at mind.be
Sat Mar 29 04:21:05 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 10:11, Prakash kanthi wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I have one concern regarding FFS. If you use flash for
> your entire filesystem including /var/log, /proc,
> etc.., you will be accessing flash too many times.
>
> And there is good chance that, your flash on the board
> reaches maximum number of accesses/writes limited by
> flash technology.
>
> How do people generally handle that in the industry.
> Especially, if you have on-board (non-replaceable)
> flash?

First of all, use a proper FLASH file system (like JFFS2)
which does wear leveling (writes are spread out over the
entire device, reducing the wear on any particular portion).
Also, move things that get updated a lot to a RAM disk and
only flush to the FLASH periodically.

BTW /proc is a pseudo file system - it is not represented
in any media like the FLASH.

--
|       Mind: Embedded Linux and eCos Development        |