SCC2 and SCC3 serial ports on RPX Classic (MPC860)

Dmitriy.Zavin at infineon.com Dmitriy.Zavin at infineon.com
Thu Mar 27 06:17:18 EST 2003

Hey all,

I'm using the Embedded Planet RPX Classic LF SBC (MPC860 onboard).
I compiled the 2.4.7 kernel (from TimeSYS) with SCC2 and SCC3 enabled for IO. I have a break-out board where I manually hook into the TXD/RXD/GND pins (Port A, pins 12/13). Now, I'm sending a pattern (FOOOOOO) from the SBC to /dev/tts/1 (SCC2) which is connected to a windows box on COM1. All I get on COM1 is garbage. But its not random. I made sure to set all the baud/stop bits/parity manually through IOCTL calls to make sure its right, but still no go. And SCC3 (/dev/tts/2) is completely unresponsive. Writing data to it always blocks the program. I have to ^C, because nothing shows up on the other side of the serial link. Its very puzzling.

Do I have to hook up all the CTS/RTS lines in order to get it to work? I thought that TX/RX/GND was enough?

Any ideas??

Thanks a lot in advance.

--Dima

Some info: