dcbz works on 862 everywhere!

Till Straumann strauman at slac.stanford.edu
Thu Mar 27 05:11:34 EST 2003

Dan Malek wrote:

> Till Straumann wrote:
>
>> I found that 'dcbz' (while failing to set DAR)
>> indeed sets MD_EPN correctly. Hence, Jocke's fix
>> (copy EPN[0:19]->DAR) would handle that.
>

> After sleeping for a couple of days and consuming large
> amounts of medicine to cure a cold, I think I understand
> why copying these bits around seems to "fix" problems.
>
> It's all related to the sequence of TLB miss/error exceptions
> that I had been describing all along.  The first thing that
> is going to most likely happen is you will get a TLB miss to
> load a PTE  into the TLB.  It will be marked valid but not
> dirty (not writable).  Immediately upon performing the rfi
> you will get a TLB Error to handle the dirty PTE update.
> By copying the bits from MD_EPN to the DAR in the miss handler,
> the Error handler will have at least a 4K boundary aligned DAR
> and it will execute correctly to update the dirty state.  At
> this point, it will appear to "work" properly (even though
> it is likely the dcbz didn't execute) because the system will
> at least keep running (for a while).

I'm not sure whether to agree with this analysis. I thought
you said that TLB Error correctly set DAR? Hence you would
get

 - TLB Miss, copy EPN to DAR (DAR is semi-correct, i.e. to
    a page boundary).
 - RFI, dcbz is restarted

--- here, task switching could occur ---

 - TLB Error because the page was not writable (but, according
   to your earlier mail, DAR should be correct now).
 - copy DAR-> EPN, lookup PTE, replace TLB
 - RFI, dcbz is restarted and eventually executed.

Under the premise that TLB Miss always sets EPN correctly
and TLB Error always sets DAR correctly, this should work
even if a task switch (or IRQ) sneaks in.

> If you have a situation where you get a TLB Error without
> a matching TLB miss (very rare, but they can happen as the
> result of swapping, copy on write, certain other page table
> updates), then you are hosed.

Again: I thought you said that TLB Error _does_ set DAR?

> The DAR will contain some information
> from a previous exception, we will likely end up on a "hung"
> system continually taking TLB Error exceptions because we
> can't fix them properly.  This is basically what happens
> without the bit copying "fix".
>

>> My older idea (fixing up MD_EPN and DAR based
>> on the faulting instruction opcode and the involved
>> GPR contents) should work even if we have neither
>> a valid MD_EPN nor DAR.
>

> All of the TLB exception handlers must have minimal instructions.
> The ones in Linux are too big already.  The very little you would
> gain from making a dcbz/dcbt work correctly would be lost many,
> many, many times over in a more complex TLB exception handler.

 From a performance standpoint, perhaps (although I believe that
working around the problem is more of a 'size' than execution path
length increase). But you gain the huge advantage that you don't
have to carefully screen any software you intend to port for cache
instructions.

> Copying bits from MD_EPN to DAR doesn't set the DAR "correctly",
> it only gives you the page boundary.  This is going to further
> confuse debuggers or signal handlers if you actually have an
> addressing bug that is detected by one of these instructions.

The 'fixup' workaround would provide a correct DAR, however.

-- Till