Flash File System

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Mar 26 18:34:07 EST 2003

In message <20030326070131.88176.qmail at web41202.mail.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> I have a 32MB Intel Strata flash on my PPC405 based
> custom board. I need to create access routines/APIs to
> access the flash. I was thinking of creating a Flash
> File System and mount it as a device in Linux
> environment.
>
> Are there any off the shelf FFS packages available?
> Generally, how the flash is used?

Use the MTD layer.

> I am working with micro-monitor to use its Tiny File
> System on flash support and eventually mount into
> linux. Did anyone use this combination before?

I think you cannot do this. AFAIK the TFS code is not available under
a GPL compatible license which prevents it from being linked with the
Linux kernel code.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
There is is no reason for any individual to have a computer in  their
home.      -- Ken Olsen (President of Digital Equipment Corporation),
              Convention of the World Future Society, in Boston, 1977