BogoMIPS on 8xx vs 82xx

Jean-Denis Boyer jdboyer at mediatrix.com
Tue Mar 25 05:03:44 EST 2003

The ppc function used in calibration is __delay.
It is located in arch/ppc/kernel/misc.S.
It uses instruction bdnz, looping on itself.
On 860, it takes 2 cycles per bdnz.
On 8260, it takes 3 cycles per bdnz.
I guess it is because both CPUs have different pipelines.
The result is later multiplied by 2 prior to be displayed,
around line 197 in init/main.c.
This is why it gives 1BogoMips = 1MHz on 860.

Regards,
 Jean-Denis Boyer, B.Eng., Technical Leader
 Mediatrix Telecom Inc.
 4229 Garlock Street
 Sherbrooke (Québec)
 J1L 2C8  CANADA