register_blk_dev seems to do nothing during boot for /dev/mtd block0

"Callebaut, Benoît" benoit.callebaut at barco.com
Fri Mar 14 03:43:03 EST 2003

Hi,

>You (as in "a script/program living on the rootfs") do not need to mount
the root to access
>the root at boot this is handled by the kernel.
>Check root_dev_names[] in init/do_mounts.c (linuxppc-2.4.19-pre6) and check
if a reference to mtdblock
>is there.
>You should see something like
>	{"mtdblock", 0x1ff00},
>in the root_dev_names[] structure. root_dev_names lists all devices that
the kernel can boot the rootfs from.

I have this line

By enabling the good options in the kernel config with make xconfig without
trying to change anything in the code

>> and when the cramfs filesystem is the root filesystem, the
>> mounting of the
>> root
>> hang in the __wait_on_buffer function called by cramfs_read.
>>
>> (note __wait_for_buffer is defined in fs/buffer.c and cramfs_read in
>> /fs/cramfs/inode.c)
>
>How did you generate the cramfs image? If I remember correctly then the
utility to
>generate the cramfs was not endian safe so generating the image on i386
could cause
>problems. Note though that it is a long time since I have generated cramfs
image.
>I am using entirely jffs2 now. But the booting sequence should be the
same..

>Assuming that the cramfs image is generated correctly, how do you transfer
it to the
>flash? Are mtd partitions correctly set up for the flash, i.e. is
/dev/mtdblock/0 actually
>accessing the cramfs image?

I had the same question about endianess but since I can access this image
when it is mounted after boot up,
I suppose that the endianess is correct (at least cramfs has no problem with
endianess)

I use my BDI2000 probe to do this, but again after using MAKEDEV on the
board, I can see the /dev/mtdblock0 and access it
without problem.
I tried in the kernel to configure the flash as a 3MByte flash instead of a
4MByte to hide the kernel image and ppcboot
from the driver but that doesn't work better.

>> The place where it "blocks" in __wait_on_buffer on the loop
>> implementing the
>> waiting.
>> (same kind of code can be found in Linux Device Drivers 2nd
>> Edition p.287).
>> Since this code has nothing to do either with the mtd driver
>> or the cramfs
>> and also since I have no problem is to mount the cramfs is it
>> is not the
>> root filesystem,
>> I have no idea to make it working.
>> I tried to bypass this code (putting the mtdblock driver in the cramfs
>> driver) but that doesn't work.
>> VFS complains about the /mtdblock driver He can not find.
>> Without this hack
>> It can open the mtd driver.
>>
> >The lacking of /dev/mtdblock0(or /dev/mtdblock/0) seems not
>> be a problem for
>> linux at boot time,

>It should not be, at boot time the kernel accesses the flash with the aid
of
>root_dev_names[], not throught the file systems (which at boot time is not
mounted,
>you are actually prepareing (I am assuming that the mount process is
failing (which might
>be wrong assumption ( no I am not a LISP programmer ( 8-))))) to mount it).

>> devfs_find_handle returns also 0 when I uses the standard
>> code (I use a
>> string constant)
>> The kernel uses the major and minor number to find the root
>> device. ( see

>which has to be defined in root_dev_names[].

>> super.c)

Regards,

K.D.