Memory Leak

Matt Porter porter at cox.net
Thu Mar 13 07:29:39 EST 2003

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 01:20:25AM +0530, Aman wrote:
>  Hi All
>  I am using consistent_alloc () to allocate consistent memory for DMA.  When
> I free the buffers using consistent_free(), the /proc/meminfo shows a
> memory leak of the buffer size allocated.
>
>  I have attached a  module code to allocate memory when inserted and free
>  when removed. The memory leak can be found using the command cat
> /proc/meminfo.

This was fixed three months ago in the development trees.

>  Also the consistent_alloc call gives an error something like "Kernel bug at
> cachemap.." if we try to allocate more than 2MB.

Of course, MAX_ORDER is 10 (in 2.4) and consistent_alloc() is based on
__get_free_pages().

I suggest reading "Understanding the Linux Kernel", "Linux Device
Drivers", and Documentation/* as a starting point for kernel
development.

If you simply must have more consistent memory then you can use
mem= on the command line to reduce the memory available to the
kernel and then use __ioremap/consistent_sync to map the massive
buffer and make it consistent.

Regards,
--
Matt Porter