FW: Need openssh for embedded linux on 440GP

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Mar 13 01:11:11 EST 2003

In message <995FF289C9D69747A09E42992644595405B236B3 at penguin.adic.com> you wrote:

> Is there any particular reason why openssh is not included in the ELDK
> target package?

None of our customers asked for it yet, and nobody  else  contributed
it either.

> As an update to what's written below, I did try cross-compiling and that was
> even less successful than compiling on my embedded target.

I'm not surprised.

> The error I receive is: "Disconnecting: Corrupted MAC on input"

I guess you mis-configured the tools so you now  run  into  endianess
problems?

> I am trying to get openssh installed and running on my embedded 440
> platform. 'openssh' is not part of the target packages provided with the
> ELDK, so I figure there's 2 ways to do it:
>
> (a) cross-compile on my host
> (b) compile it on my target system
>
> I haven't tried (a) yet, as openssh does not seem to be very cross-compile
> friendly and I'm still getting comfortable with the whole 'cross-compiling'
> from source using ELDK.

In general,  cross  compiling  is  as  trivial  as  adding  a  "CC  =
$(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc"  line  to  the Makefile. At least for any source
that was  portably  written  and  does  not  need  any  autoconfig  /
configure stuff to be built.

> I went ahead and proceeded with (b). I retrieved the latest source from
> www.openssh.com, unpacked and built it on my target system (filesytem nfs
> mounted). It took a while, but everything built ok. I thought I was home
> free until I tried to either:
>
>   (i)  start the sshd daemon
>        The daemon starts OK. However, when I ssh to the
>        Target, it barfs on a 'CRC' error.

Did you turn on debugging?

>   (ii) ssh to another machine from the target
>        When I try to connect, I get an error message related
>        Errors at the MAC addr level.

Did you turn on debugging?

> Can't provide more detail at this point on the specific errors as I'm
> rebuilding ssh as I write this (on the target) and can't get the info.
>
> Is the direction I'm going in the logical direction? I've worked on embedded
> systems for years, but this is the first with embedded linux, and the first
> time I've actually built something on my target!! It feels unusual, but I
> don't see why it shouldn't work, and seems like a better choice than
> cross-compiling.

It should work.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"We don't care.  We don't have to.  We're the Phone Company."