Question about modules

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Mar 5 01:15:27 EST 2003

In message <1046783010.328.73.camel at muse> you wrote:

> I understand that reason, and i'm not certain about the usefulness of
> modules in embedded systems.

They are _very_ useful during development. They may also be useful to
make  driver  initialization   and/or   operation   controllable   by
application code.

In general you are right: statically linking the required drivers  is
usually a better approach.

> Anyway, my original purpose was to develop the driver as a module, and
> afterwards insert it into the kernel. I have just done it adding the
> EXPORT_SYMBOL macro to commproc.c and listing it in export-objs in
> arch/ppc/8xx_io/Makefile. Right, isn't it?

Yes, this is all that is needed.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"In the face of entropy and nothingness, you kind of have to  pretend
it's  not  there  if  you  want  to  keep writing good code."
- Karl Lehenbauer