running 8xx without UART

Pantelis Antoniou panto at intracom.gr
Thu Jun 12 20:19:22 EST 2003

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

>In message <FCEAKDJJAPHPLJFINDAJAEHGDCAA.Stephan.Linke at epygi.de> you wrote:
>

>>is it possible to make a 8xx kernel without setting up one of the serial interfaces for UART mode? It seames to me like it is only
>>

>Yes, this is possible.
>

>>possible to choose between the CPM interfaces.
>>We are experiencing problems with SCC3 running ethernet and SMC1 as console interface on a 852.
>>

>I think it would be better to solve this problem instead of just  not
>using SMC1 and leaving an unresolved bug in the kernel...
>

>Best regards,
>
>Wolfgang Denk
>
>--
>Software Engineering:  Embedded and Realtime Systems,  Embedded Linux
>Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
>Immortality consists largely of boredom.
>	-- Zefrem Cochrane, "Metamorphosis", stardate 3219.8

I just pop up here to say that I have done this for a previous board
with a 850
and instead we used a netconsole.

In a new board we have the same problem, and I'll have to make the patch
again. Since we need a serial port we used a max3100 spi to serial converter
and I have a driver for that ready (but not yet as a console).

When I get around to add support for this chip in u-boot I'll also send the
patches for the kernel.

Regards

Pantelis