CRAMFS or SQUASHFS

Robin Gilks robin.gilks at tait.co.nz
Wed Jun 4 09:04:15 EST 2003

Greetings

I've been trying to determine the best Flash based *_read-only_* compressed
filesystem for an embedded system.

I can find nothing about CRAMFS - not even what it stands for - is it CRAM as in
squeeze it all in or Compressed RAM meaning it uses loads of RAM to expand into.
Just a hint in the right direction here would help!!

For SQUASHFS, I'm unsure as to how mature it is and what its memory overhead is
since its using zlib - would the discussions about sharing zlib workspace be
relevant here as well?

Does anyone have a horror story particular to either of these technologies?

Many thanks...

--
Robin Gilks
Senior Design Engineer              Phone: (+64)(3) 357 1569
PO Box 1645 Christchurch        Email : robin.gilks at tait.co.nz
New Zealand