Failsafe bootloader

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Wed Jun 4 06:10:28 EST 2003

Check out U-Boot
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/u-boot
The project page on sourceforge is pretty much non-existant other than the
CVS link.  Pull down the source -- there _is_ a good README file in it that
explains a lot about u-boot.
   http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/u-boot/u-boot/README?rev=1.30
Wolfgang Denk of Denx Computer Systems runs the project.  He doesn't appear
to have anything on U-Boot on his web site either.
   http://www.denx.de/

The predecessor was ppcboot, which at least has a home page on sourceforge
   http://ppcboot.sourceforge.net/
Pretty much everything said for ppcboot goes for u-boot as well, only
better :-).

U-boot has some scripting capabilities as well as variables that can be
used for rudimentary decision making.  I'm sure Wolfgang will welcome
improvements to the scripting :-).

The scripts can be accessed remotely or via your application (assuming your
application's "failure" mode is sufficient to allow it to write to
flash/eeprom to change the script to a backup mode).  You don't tell us
_how_ the application fails and how it and/or the boot loader is expected
to recover from that failure, so I cannot give you and direct suggestions.

gvb