Bare bones filesytem using Karim's book

brian.auld at adic.com brian.auld at adic.com
Wed Jun 4 01:28:23 EST 2003

Thanks for the feedback Wolfgang. My intention ultimately is to build my tgt filesytem from the ground up. The ELDK tinkering was an attempt to provide a comparison platform to try and help me understand why my bare bones filesytem wasn't working...

> Why do you care about packages and package dependencies? You will not
> use a package manager in hte target system, so you are free  to  copy
> or remove individual files as you like.
>
> Also, the approach to strip  down  a  general  purppose  distribution
> (even  an embedded one) does not make much sense - as I wrote before,
> you better design your system bottom up by  starting  with  an  empty
> filesystem  and  just  adding  the  really required components. Where
> "required" means "required to perform some task you defined  in  your
> project specification".

That's what I'm trying to do, building from the ground up that is. Just can't get my bare bones system (basic rootfs dir infrastructure with busybox) to boot yet :-(

-- Brian