What's the maximum number of processes in Linux

Der Herr Hofrat der.herr at hofr.at
Thu Jul 31 16:41:15 EST 2003

> Hi !
>
> Please tell me , How many processes does linux kernel 2.4
> supports.In kernel 2.2 , there was a limit i.e. maximum 512
> processes . But in kerenl 2.4 and above there is no such checking
> being done . I think it just depends upon the available memory.

last time I tried to fork a box into overload it
was the file-descriptors that ran out first (that can be adjusted though)
the limit is not a fixed number, 2.4.X does not have a hard limit
set as maximum number of tasks, its resource limited.

> Also please tell me what' s the meaning of process state
> TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE in Linux .

its ignoring signals (typically blocked on hardware access).

hofrat