U-Boot, tftp and PCI ethernet

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jul 25 23:14:43 EST 2003

In message <DGEEIPOFGGPOACEFBGGCGEJFCAAA.bpadalino at perigee.com> you wrote:

> Does U-Boot support booting over ethernet controllers found on the PCI bus,

Your question has nothing to do with embedded linux and is  thus  off
topic on this list.

Please post U-Boot related quuestions  to  the  u-boot-users  mailing
list instead.

Yes, U-Boot can use PCI based network  cards  if  there  is  (1)  PCI
support  for  your  board  and  (2) an U-Boot ethernet driver for the
network card

> specifically I am wondering how hard it would be to boot from an Intel e1000
> ethernet controller rather than the on-chip ethernet on my Ebony board.

It's not hard at all. An e1000 driver has been ported to U-Boot.

> Has anyone had experience with this, or can point me in the right direction
> on where to look to write some simple drivers to support transfers from the
> e1000 card, that would be great.

See the drivers/ directory in the U-Boot source code.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Weekends were made for programming.                 - Karl Lehenbauer