Clock rate on MPC8xx CPUs

Robin Gilks robin.gilks at tait.co.nz
Wed Jul 23 08:07:22 EST 2003

Robin Gilks wrote:

> Greetings
>
> Can anyone shed some light on a question of clock rates?
>
> We're playing with the mpc866ads board and currently running both the
> CPU core and bus at 50MHz to keep things simple. As a result it seems
> that the internal Linux time is 50% out despite passing the clock rate
> from u-boot as being 50MHz.
>
> Since the mpc866 can run its core at x2 the bus rate, does the timer
> setup in Linux for this port assume that the CPU _will_ be running at x2
> from the rate passed at boot time or is there something else
> 'interesting' with this new '866 CPU :-))

Further questions on the same subject...

Does anyone have a utility that will report the CPU clock rate - we have
confirmed that the bus is running at 50MHz and that the timers are
accurate (so must also be running from the 50MHZ external bus) - but we
still have no definitive value for the clock rate of the CPU core...

--
Robin Gilks
Senior Design Engineer              Phone: (+64)(3) 357 1569
PO Box 1645 Christchurch        Email : robin.gilks at tait.co.nz
New Zealand