8xx SCC's as uart

Eli Brin elib at rokonet.co.il
Sun Jul 20 18:52:01 EST 2003

Hello Dan,

Originally I was referring to both kernel.org and Denx.  But I was referred
to a patched 2.4.20 version from Denx that enables SCC1 and SCC4 as uarts
including RTS, CTS, DCD and DTR pin configuration.

I believe this should go into the kernel from kernel.org.  If one chooses to
use the 860(T/DT) or 855(T) processors why shouldn't he use SSC1 and 4 as
uarts.  The limitation of the 857 should not limit other processors.  Look
at the 852(T), it can use SCC4 as a uart.

Regarding the baud rate generators, we can configure the to more then one
uart, if those uarts use the same baud rate.  So, perhaps the BRG's should
be decoupled from the uart in the configuration.  This will go to the 8xx
CPM configuration witch is processor specific in the first place (FEC, SCC
and Ethernet and other 8xx processor variant stuff).

Thank you,
Eli Brin