[RFC] consistent_sync and non L1 cache line aligned buffers

David Blythe blythe at broadon.com
Wed Jul 16 07:26:55 EST 2003

This discussion has been going on (off and on) for 2 years now.  The
consistent_sync routine does seem to be abused and it seems that in
practice a lot of code does fail (like the skbufs were doing 2 years
ago).  The party line has been that the path works as designed and
people are writing incorrect code.  There are two things that could be
done to improve the developers lot in life:

1) maintain the semantics, but add an assert or something to catch some
of the cases where developers are using it incorrectly rather than
allowing it fail in subtle ways.

2) change the definition to allow non-aligned addresses and handle them
gracefully

2) Would be the most pragmatic.  Doing nothing will ensure that a month
or two from now the topic will come up again and more people will have
wasted countless hours tracking down the same problem in yet another
piece of code.

	david