ptrace Problem

Jean-Denis Boyer jdboyer at m5t.com
Wed Jul 16 02:30:26 EST 2003

Kent, here are some ideas...

> The kernel is 2.4.21-rc1 with stuff done to it to support some
> hardware that is under development (the chip has a 603-style core).

Which chip is it?  Is it correctly recognized by the kernel (arch/ppc/kernel/cputable.c)? If not, it will choose a "Generic PPC", which might not have the correct attributes (for example, if it is a 8270, I think it is currently not recognized; the kernel would boot but the MMU would behave badly).

> Once this happens my Abatron BDI-2000 is somehow hosed and can no
> longer write to memory.  My next download takes all the time I would
> expect, but the results are all 0x0 unless I first powercycle the
> Abatron.

This is a silly question, but, did you try to unplug the BDI-2000 before running gdbserver? Just in case it stops on some exceptions...

> I have tried changing from our previous gdb and gdbserver
> to the Denx versions with same results.

Do you use a somewhat recent version of glibc, and was it built against a somewhat recent version of kernel? Can you also tell us the version of binutils and gcc ? Not all the combinations are reliable ;-)

Regards,
 Jean-Denis Boyer, Eng.
 Software Designer
 M5T Centre d'Excellence en Télécom Inc.