[RFC] consistent_sync and non L1 cache line aligned buffers

Eugene Surovegin ebs at ebshome.net
Wed Jul 16 02:20:24 EST 2003

At 08:46 AM 7/15/2003, Tom Rini wrote:
>Well, one thing that is worth noting is that the USB people knew this
>was a problem, and it was / should have been fixed in the 2.5 cycle.
>Similarly, SCSI was cleaned up a lot, so perhaps this has been fixed
>there.  I think it's generally known that doing DMA off of the stack is
>a bad idea, and should be fixed when found.

I agree this is VERY bad idea but the fact is that there is a code which
does such nasty things.

I truly hope all this will/was fixed in 2.5 but frankly I wouldn't be so
sure :)

Unfortunately, for production 2.5 is unusable and will be for some time.
A lot of people (I think majority) still use 2.4. And 2.4 (as of
2.4.22-pre6) is still broken in this respect...

Eugene