Ethernet PHY chip discovery not working on 855T with 971/972 chips

Dean Matsen deanmatsen at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 12 09:21:51 EST 2003

Tom Rini wrote:

>On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 11:21:40PM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>

>>In message <3F0C8112.5060001 at earthlink.net> you wrote:
>>

>>>I think the search should be made smarter (especially, keep going to
>>>the next address until it has gone through ALL address w/o finding a
>>>valid ID).  The kernel could still panic if it can't find any PHY chip,
>>>but not the first time it reads the floating line and can't find the
>>>answer in its table.  The odds of reading a valid PHY ID from the
>>>floating line is phenominally low.  I'd submit a proposed patch for
>>>this, but it doesn't sound like anyone else thinks this is important
>>>enough to warrant a change.
>>>

>>I agree that it makes little sense for th kernel to panic if it finds
>>an unsupported PHY id.
>>

>>>the automatic PHY search will work.  Unless the pullup is required for
>>>non-search applications (which I assert it isn't), then I think the code
>>>should be fixed, not the hardware.
>>>

>>We changed this in our kernel tree some time ago. If no valid PHY  is
>>found  we simply do not enable the interface, but we do not panic any
>>more.
>>

>Which raises two fun questions:
>1) Do you plan on ever trying to re-sync your 2.4 tree with the
>community tree (which should become kernel.org before too long)?
>2) Do you plan on trying to keep in sync with 2.6 now that it's coming
>up on us?
>
>--
>Tom Rini
>http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/

Somewhere in this discussion thread I saw that the 2.4 kernel is closed for
patches (I just joined this list, so I didn't know that).

Would it help if I came up with a 2.5 patch for fec.c? I made a few minor
changes that will make it behave friendlier for all [to whom it is not
already being totally friendly], and I see the 2.5 kernel could use some
of the same changes.