AgileDB and Abatron BDI 2000 ICE

Steven Rothweiler Stevenr at raritan.com
Sat Jul 12 01:12:46 EST 2003

Wolfgang,

>From the AgileDB product data sheet (I can send it to you if
you'd like), it is clearly a GUI front end for GDB, or any
other debugger you want to use.  They allow you to issue any
GDB (or any tool's) command-line command from a prompt, if
that's what you're familiar with.  From their data sheet:

Channels and Connections
------------------------
AgileDB communicates to any number of debug devices or tools
using Connections and Channels.

Connections are physical connections to devices, tools or
target services.  Channels are logical paths across a
connection.  Examples of some typical tools and services you
can connect to AgileDB:

* The BDI 2000 ICE Command Set
* The GDB Command Set
* Target Serial I/O (over telnet)
* Any Tool or Service that uses Telnet
* Boot Agents Like: PPC/U-BOOT
* User-Defined Tests and Target Services

Theoretically, you're supposed to have productivity gains
by using their GUI (if you invest the time to learn it, just
as you've invested time to learn a CLI) over the equivalent
CLI way of doing it.  Their "claim to fame" is that they've
solved the "window-explosion" problem that most GUI
debuggers suffer from.  In a particular debug session, you
can put all of the things that are most important to you
into a single window.  I have no idea if this enhances
productivity, but I know that one of the reasons that I
prefer CLIs is that I spend more time opening, closing,
re-sizing, and just plain fiddling with the GUI windows.

If it were up to me, I'd just use the CLI.  But I work for
a company that has to consider the productivity of engineers
whom they're paying to train.  If they train them on a CLI,
and their productivity is not as good as if they had trained
them on a GUI, then they are not helping the company.

(And I'd like to keep my job ;)
--
Steven Rothweiler               Raritan Computer Inc
Embedded Engineer               400 Cottontail Lane