Large initrd and arch/ppc/boot/simple Question

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jul 2 06:38:17 EST 2003

Dear Kent,

in message <20030701162944.E20876 at borg.org> you wrote:

> We are booting our kernel via the arch/ppc/boot/simple mechanism to
> package up our kernel and initrd.  It seems to work, until we get too
> big.  What is big?  Roughly 8 MB for our one big uncompressed userland
> program, plus the kernel, bash, busybox, and various userland
> utilities.
>
> Can initrd's get that large and still work?  Is the simple boot code
> sensible with these sizes?  (I notice that the "avail ram" message
> that gets printed is just hard coded number...)

I don't know  about  the  "simple  boot  code".  With  U-Boot,  we're
successfully  using  ramdisk  images which uncompress into 128 MB and
bigger filesystems. [And no, please don't ask me who needs that  many
stuff in a ramdisk, nor if there is not any better way to do this.]

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
A rolling stone gathers momentum.