PowerMac vs. Intel for PowerPC Development Host

Paul Mackerras paulus at samba.org
Thu Feb 20 12:22:52 EST 2003

Chris Wedgwood writes:

> On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 01:52:58PM -0800, brian.auld at adic.com wrote:
>
> > In the Intel vs. Mac debate for a linux development host for
> > embedded ppc development, if money was not an issue, would I get
> > more PowerMac recommendations??
>
> Despire what Apple and a few other people claim, Intel solutions are
> faster in terms of compile times, and if money was no barrier, then
> Intel solutions are potentially *much* faster.

As an actual data point: my measurements show that a dual 1GHz G4
powermac is more than twice as fast at compiling PPC kernels as a
1.7GHz P4 (single cpu).

You can't fairly compare compiling a PPC kernel on a PPC box with
compiling an x86 kernel on an x86 box.  GCC does more work compiling
for PPC than for x86.

Paul.