Relocating PPCBoot into SRAM

Arun Dharankar ADharankar at attbi.com
Wed Feb 19 13:36:19 EST 2003

John, this is very encouraging! Thanks!

There could be a way of "relocating" PPCBoot/U-Boot using
SRAM configured as private memory (at least on the boards I
have access to (7410/750 with MPC8260 in companion mode).
Is what you did too?

  - To begin with, SRAM is configured (using L2PM, ofcourse)
    outside the SDRAM range (possibly where no CS/BR is
    mapping to).
  - PPCBoot/U-Boot text, data, stack copied over into SRAM
  - Then map the SRAM in such a way that it overlaps the SDRAM
    range (text, data and stack in SRAM are mapped at the
    same addresses as when in the SDRAM).
  - Next map, the SDRAM into another address region changing
    the BR for SDRAM (making sure no other CS/BR uses that
    range)

With this much, PPCBoot/U-Boot is executing out of SRAM, and
SDRAM is available for a complete/destructive test. Once the
test is done, the reverse could be done.

The CPM cannot "see" the SRAM, so FCC and likes (with buffers
in SDRAM) would not work. In any case, this does not matter
since only the SDRAM is being tested, and nothing else should
go on at during this time.

A variation of this could be to implement this test as a PPCBoot/
U-Boot application (linked/loaded such that it also lies in the
SRAM).

Quite obviously, since SRAM may not be available in all boards,
this may not be a generic way of testing SDRAM.

Any flaws with this scheme?

Wolfgang pointed out potential issue with the exception vectors.
Since this relocation is done only during the period of time
when the SDRAM tests are being executed, what could be the risks?

Also, the new memory tests in U-Boot are cool! I dont have to
reinvent them (really!). Thanks Wolfgang!

Best regards,
-Arun.