Low memory on Virtex-II Pro

Kerl, John John.Kerl at Avnet.com
Thu Feb 13 06:33:39 EST 2003

All:

For anyone who has been breathlessly following this thread:
with Peter's help we now have SDRAM at address 0 on our
Virtex-II Pro board.  Please contact me if you need the
MHS file information.

Thanks Peter.

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Ryser [mailto:Peter.Ryser at xilinx.com]
Sent: Saturday, February 08, 2003 9:39 PM
To: Kerl John
Cc: 'linuxppc-embedded at lists.linuxppc.org'
Subject: Re: Low memory on Virtex-II Pro

John,

please correct me if I see this wrong but it looks like you are mixing up
MicroBlaze and PowerPC. The LMB is a bus that is only available on
MicroBlaze.
Linux does not have support for MicroBlaze.

However, Linux works great on the PowerPC inside the Virtex-II Pro FPGA when
you map the main memory at address zero. When using EDK to build your system
just set the BASEADDR for the SDRAM to zero.

You might also want to be aware of the fact that the interrupt controller
that
ships with EDK is different from the interrupt controller that ships with
the
Xilinx ML300 board. If you build your system with EDK you will have to adapt
arch/ppc/kernel/xilinx_pic.c.

Regards,
- Peter