What Does a Linux Image Expect From U-boot?

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Feb 8 11:17:39 EST 2003

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 03:47:11PM -0500, Wells, Charles wrote:

> My strategy has been to put whatever code is necessary at the beginning of
> "linux/arch/ppc/boot/simple/head.S" to make the compressed image think it
> just got control from u-boot.  Since I have the SDRAM setup at location
> 0x00000000 and the FLASH and IMMR are up high out of the way, this seems
> reasonable.

You're headed down the wrong path, arch/ppc/boot/simple and U-Boot (and
PPCBoot of course) are mutlally exclusive.  What you want to do is look
at the embed_config file and define an embed_config function (iirc) to
fill out the bd_t struct with the appropriate values.  Then just 'make
zImage' and, depending on how your firmware works, load the image into
memory w/o the ELF header and jump to where it was loaded.

--
Tom Rini
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/