Serial console driver question

Don Easton dhe at omnibyte.com
Fri Feb 7 04:11:16 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm new to the list as of yesterday, and new to Linux as of a
couple of weeks ago. I've tried researching this on the net
but haven't come up with anything, so I'm asking for help here.

I'm trying to port Linux to a custom VME board we make, this
board doesn't have any video or keyboard hardware, so I need to
use the onboard serial port as a terminal console. It looks
to me like everybody uses a 16550 UART compatible device for
serial ports, but we happen to have a Zilog z85230 part on our board.
So my question becomes; what's the best/easiest way to get Linux
to talk to this part and use it as the consol? Being new to all this,
I'm not sure if I should try to patch the kernel, or write a driver
for this part, or something else... Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA,

Don Easton
Omnibyte Corp.