I can smell it ... I'm almost there

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Feb 4 09:38:40 EST 2003

In message <995FF289C9D69747A09E42992644595405B23645 at penguin.adic.com> you wrote:

> I'm almost there. As you can see from the attachment below, linux gets
> loaded, the root filesystem gets mounted via nfs, and then I get some error
> messages. Maybe I could get on the right track if someone would be kind
> enough to given me a hint on the following:
>
> (1) modprobe. The kernel I built is 2.4.20 and the directory in
>     {/opt/eldk/ppc_4xx)/lib/modules is 2.4.4 .... hence the modprobe errors.
>     Do I have to get this squared away before I get to a bash prompt, and if
>     yes, how would I go about it?
>       - Is there a "make modules, make modules install" step that I have to
>         take ... similar to workstation (non-embedded) kernel re-builds.

Ignore this for now, it is not relevant here.

> (2) There is no {/opt/eldk/ppc_4xx}/etc/fstab file which seems to cause
>     several errors towards the bottom of my boot log. Is there information
>     somewhere on how '{/opt/eldk/ppc_4xx}/etc/fstab' is supposed to be
>     setup, if at all?

The main problem is that your root filesystem is mounted read-only. All other problems are just results from this.

> Kernel command line: ip=on

In here is the cause of your problem: you  are  passing  insufficient
boot  parameters;  the boot options required for root filesystem over
NFS include "root=/dev/nfs rw" - and it's especially  the  "rw"  part
that is missing in your case.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
I must follow the people.  Am I not their leader? - Benjamin Disraeli