Trying to program u-boot into flash using BDI2000

brian.auld at adic.com brian.auld at adic.com
Sat Feb 1 06:40:36 EST 2003

The embedded linux on ebony(440GP) saga continues:

- ELDK in place (check)
- kernel compiled (check)
- u-boot compiled (check)
- ebony in place (check ... dip switch settings confirmed)
- BDI2000 in hand (arrived this morning)

OK, I'm trying to program flash with u-boot (I'm using u-boot.bin). I am
using the 440GP config file provided by abatron, plus the [FLASH] parameters
from the example in the bdiGDB users manual for programming flash on the
405. It looks like the memory map as it pertains to flash as well as the
part (AMD29F040) was consistent from the 405 --> 440, so it seemed logical
to use these FLASH values. The 440GP config file provided does not have any
FLASH parameters set, which is why I made this change.

Well, I successfully erased the flash from 0xfff8000 - 0xffffffff and
checked the locations after the erase ... they were all 'F's. I then tried
to program the flash with my u-boot.bin and got the following:

===== start of bdi clip =====
BDI>prog 0xfff80000 u-boot.bin bin=
Programming u-boot.bin , please wait ....
# Programming flash memory failed at 0xfff80000
BDI>prog 0xfff80000 u-boot.bin bin
Programming u-boot.bin , please wait ....
# Programming flash memory failed at 0xfff80000

===== end of bdi clip =====

Any ideas why this failed. Attached is my config file. I'll just attach the
[HOST] and [FLASH] sections to make it a little easier on the eyes. For
anyone familiar with BDI sample 440GP confile file, you will see that it is
this file with the [FLASH] additions I mentioned above. Actually, after
looking at the file, I remembered that I also trimmed information in the
[HOST] section ... specifically stuff that was presuming path to Windows
information. My host is Linux.

===== start of config file ([HOST] and [FLASH] sections) =====
;bdiGDB configuration file for IBM 440GP Reference Board

-- cut --

[HOST]
IP          172.16.77.151        ;Linux host
;FILE        u-boot.bin
;FORMAT      BIN
;START      0x200000
LOAD        MANUAL              ;load code MANUAL or AUTO after reset
DEBUGPORT   2001
DUMP        dump.bin            ;Linux: dump.bin must already exist and
public writable

[FLASH]
CHIPTYPE    AM29F            ; flash part = AMD29F040B
CHIPSIZE    0x80000          ;The size of one flash chip in bytes (0.5MB)
BUSWIDTH    8                ;The width of the flash memory bus in bits (8 |
16 | 32)
WORKSPACE   0x000040000      ; RAM buffer for fast flash programming
FILE        u-boot.bin       ;The file to program
FORMAT      BIN  0x00000000
ERASE       0xFFF80000
ERASE       0xFFF90000
ERASE       0xFFFA0000