ELDK on MPC8260ADS board, Machine check in kernel

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Dec 12 04:30:40 EST 2003

Dear James,

in message <OJEPIMKHOKJAJIDJLJBNMEIMCAAA.jbates at paradise.co.uk> you wrote:

> I am trying to get linux running on my standard MPC8260ADS board but I have
> hit a dead end.

Reading the FAQ's and mailing list archives is recommended.

> I am getting a "Machine check in kernel mode." error about the time that
> ramdisks are setup.

Try updating U-Boot to a recent  version,  or  at  least  change  the
#define  for CFG_BCSR into 0xF4500000 (instead of the silly 04500000)
in "include/configs/MPC8260ADS.h" (also change  CFG_LSDRAM_BASE  into
0xFD000000 while you are at it).

> I am using the linuxppc_2_4_devel eldk which I checked out this week and
> u-boot 0.4.0. I have added the boot output at the end of this message for
> those that are interested. I have also attempted to make some sense of the
> backtrace from the System.map

It would have been nice if  you  hadd  added  the  results  of  these
attempts, too.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
A metaphor is like a simile.