Cross-compile package combinations

Ashwin Bihari raz0redge at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 12 03:29:02 EST 2003

I have indeed tried a fairly recent version of GCC, the aforementioned 3.2.3
with Linux 2.4.23 and it works like a charm in our PPC environment. I didn't
bother with the 3.3.x release of GCC mainly because other toolchains used
for other stuff in our environment also used 3.2.3, so I wanted to stay in
lockstep with those versions.

~Ashwin

>From: "listmember at orkun.us" <listmember at orkun.us>
>To: linuxppc-embedded at lists.linuxppc.org
>CC: "Dan Kegel" <dank at kegel.com>
>Subject: Re: Cross-compile package combinations
>Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:06:40 -0600 (CST)
>

> > Silverton Aron-C1710C wrote:
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> Can somebody give me a clue as to which versions of binutils, gcc, and
> >> glibc are compatible with each other?  I'd like to use gcc 3.2 or 3.3
> >> and I am developing on i386 targeting PowerPC.  I'll be using 2.4
> >> kernels initially and then moving to 2.6.
> >>
> >> If there is a known reference or recent previous post (I didn't see one
> >> in my initial search) I'd appreciate a pointer.
> >
> > As Ashwin mentioned, http://kegel.com/crosstool might come in handy.
> > See also the matrix at http://embeddedtux.org.
> > - Dan
>
>Funny, I was just about to ask  very similar question. I will be working
>an a IBM PPC405G based development board (Cogent CSB272) for an internal
>project. I would like to use as up-to-date versions of GCC, GLIBC and
>Linux 2.4 kernel as possible (without sacrificing stability).
>
>- Has anyone used recently released 2.4.23 (kernel.org) in any PPC project
>yet? If it is not good to use for PPC based development? Do I need to get
>a ppc specific modified kernel or do I need to apply any patches to linus
>2.4.23 kernel to get it working in PPC405 embedded environment.
>
>- Kernel 2.4.x README still says the official kernel compiler is gcc
>2.95.3. Is it still the case or using a more recent GCC compiler is now
>acceptable? In the last Linux embedded project I was in we had used this
>one along with a very early build of kernel. I was not the one to set the
>development environment so bear with me if these sound basic questions to
>you.
>
>- I built a toolchain using crosstools based on gcc 3.3.2, glibc 2.3.2 and
>binutils 2.14.90.0.5. Crosstools default .dat files pull kernel 2.4.21 but
>I also got the tools compiled using 2.4.23 sources. I have not tested them
>yet since I don't have the board yet? Any comments regarding this
>combination?
>
>Looking at some ppc linux distros (not necessarily embedded):
>
>YDL 3.0: kernel 2.4.20, gcc ? glibc 2.3.1, binutils ?
>Mandrake: kernel 2.3.21, gcc 3.2.2, glibc, 2.3.1, binutils ?
>Gentoo: kernel 2.4.22, gcc ? glibc 2.3.2?, binutils ?
>
>Tolunay

Tired of slow downloads and busy signals?  Get a high-speed Internet
connection! Comparison-shop your local high-speed providers here.
https://broadband.msn.com