softirq context question

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at lumentis.se
Mon Dec 8 21:48:04 EST 2003

I have impl. NAPI for 8xx/enet.c. I choose to handle
TX IRQs in the poll() function as well. NAPI runs the packet
processing in softirq context.

All is working well, but I am a bit unsure about the locking rules
w.r.t softirq and scc_enet_start_xmit().

What is the difference between softirq context and hard irq context?
Can softirqs suspend scc_enet_start_xmit() or vice versa?

I have been running lots of flood ping tests without any locking at all
in scc_enet_start_xmit() and it works very well. This is no
comprehensive test and I have probably overlooked something.

  Regards
        Joakim