the door is closing for 2.4

Stefan Roese stefan.roese at esd-electronics.com
Thu Dec 4 20:47:43 EST 2003

Paul,

> Marcelo has announced that as of 2.4.25, the official 2.4
> tree is going into maintenance-only mode.  There is still a
> lot of stuff in the linuxppc-2.4 and linuxppc_2_4_devel trees
> which hasn't gone into the official 2.4 tree.  Most of that
> is board ports for various embedded boards, and for many of
> those boards, it's not clear whether anyone cares whether
> they are supported by the official 2.4 or not.
>
> So if you have a board that you want to see supported by the
> official 2.4 tree, and it isn't already, let me know.  I will
> need someone to commit to maintaining the port on an ongoing
> basis before I send it to Marcelo, though.

Our CPCI405 board doesn't seem to be supported in the official 2.4 tree.
It was one of the first ppc405 boards added to the linuxppc_2_4_devel
tree. And naturally I commit myself to maintaining the port in the
future.

> We also need people to start moving their embedded board
> ports to 2.6, along with all the related device drivers, etc.
>  We are already past the point where new development should
> all be done in 2.5/2.6.

Hopefully we will find some time beginning of next year to start
"playing" with the 2.6 kernel.

Best regards,
Stefan.