routing performance w/embedded linux on ppc?

Brian Kuschak bkuschak at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 2 06:08:28 EST 2003

Hi Vlad,

> Starting with 2.4.19 or so, I'd recommend looking at
> NAPI to do
> interrupt mitigation instead. Please look at
> ftp://robur.slu.se/pub/Linux/net-development/NAPI/

Yes, it looks interesting!  I'm glad this is being
introduced as a mechanism for all drivers to use.

I haven't had time to study it in detail, but I'm a
little concerned about NAPI using the softirq context.
 In the 2.4 kernels I've seen various performance
issues related to ksoftirqd.  Perhaps this has been
fixed in 2.6...

> > On top of that, you can implement
> > CONFIG_NET_FASTROUTE in the driver, bypassing most
> of
> > the IP stack.
>
> But, of course, you'll loose IP tables. Also,

Yes, an important point.

-Brian