syslog opinion

Richard Williams richard_williams at stratexnet.com
Wed Aug 20 06:52:30 EST 2003

We are using busybox syslog. It is quite slow compared with writing to a
file although so far it is coping. Syslog remote logging uses UDP and I have
found it to be useless as many messages are lost. We log to a local file on
our embedded ramdisk and then telnet in and cat or tail to look at it. You
still need a way to limit the log file size. I have thought about writing a
driver that implements a circular buffer to send syslog output to but for
now I just delete the file if it gets too big.

Richard