Memory map with "holes"... (slightly off-topic)

David Jander david.jander at protonic.nl
Wed Aug 13 18:36:14 EST 2003

Hi Conn,

Thank you for the tip. AFAICS, you plan on using the only two 32-bit wide
chips available in the same package from Micron. Fortunately, these have the
same size of columns, and that makes things easy.
At first we thought this trick wouldn't work with our design, since we plan on
designing for 4 different 16-bit wide chips in TSOP-54 housing, using always
2 of them to get a 32-bit bus. The reason: TSOP-54, 16-bit wide chips seem to
be one of the most popular formats out there, used by most important SDRAM
manufacturers, and for us it is vital to ensure we always get second sources
for several years to come. The Micron types are MT48LC4M16A2 for the
smallest, and 8M16, 16M16 up to 32M16 types. The problem is, that for these 4
types you get 3 different column sizes and 2 different row sizes. Dealing
with 3 different column sizes makes things a little tricky, but it is
possible, and after playing around a little bit, we got to the following
solution:
SDRAM A[9:0] are connected straight to CPU A[20:29] and are muxed.
SDRAM A10 connected to GPL0 that will be programmed to work as either A11 (for
the 4M16 types), A10 (for the 8M16 and 16M16) or A5 (for the 32M16).
SDRAM A11 connected to either A10 (for 4M16) or A7 (for the rest) selectable
via two 0-Ohm resistors (place one or the other).
Finally SDRAM A12 connects to CPU A6 and the bank select lines BA0 and BA1 go
to CPU A9 and A8 respectively.
You'll get half crazy checking this, but I believe it must work, it uses only
one CS line (certainly not CS0, sorry for the mistake, Wolfgang ;-), and
makes linux happy with one contiguous block of RAM always.

Sincerely,

--
David Jander
Protonic Holland.