Questions about ARP

Ricardo Scop scop at digitel.com.br
Wed Aug 13 05:22:21 EST 2003

It is _also_ in RFC2131:

"The client SHOULD perform a
check on the suggested address to ensure that the address is not
already in use.  For example, if the client is on a network that
supports ARP, the client may issue an ARP request for the suggested
request.  When broadcasting an ARP request for the suggested address,
the client must fill in its own hardware address as the sender's
hardware address, and 0 as the sender's IP address, to avoid
confusing ARP caches in other hosts on the same subnet."

-Scop.

[]'s, Scop                            mailto:scop at digitel.com.br

"Ninety-eight percent of the adults in this country are decent,
hard-working, honest citizens. It's the other lousy two percent that
get all the publicity. But then -- we elected them."  ~Lily Tomlin