Build issues with 2.6.0-test3

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Tue Aug 12 23:56:55 EST 2003

I'm trying to build 2.6.0-test3 for some embedded boards and, as
reported before, there are compile problems.  The attached patches
fix these, but also bring up some questions:

* How best to handle optional support?  One of the patches fixes
  a problem of a missing system call (sys_pciconfig_iobase).  In
  this case, the platform I was building for has no PCI, so it's
  not configured in.  The way I fixed it was to conditionalize
  the syscall table.  An alternate way would be to have a module
  which is compiled if CONFIG_PCI is *not* set (or alternately
  have arch/ppc/kernel/pci.c always be compiled and export the
  appropriate functions that just return -ENOSYS).  Comments?
* I have a number of boards/platforms that I support that have
  not been moved into 2.6.  Can I just send patches for those
  as well?
* Has anyone succeeded in building & running 2.6 (or late 2.5)
  on any embedded boards (8xx/8260/405)?

Thanks.

--
Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com>