parse error before `{', stray '\' in program

Ron Flory ron.flory at adtran.com
Fri Apr 11 22:59:21 EST 2003

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <3E96684D.7000601 at imc-berlin.de> you wrote:
>
>>Good you please post the URL to the list if you find one!
>>I am facing this problem from time to time ...
>>
>>Does anyone know if the ppc_8xx-gcc 2.95.4 from DENX ELDK has this
>>patch applied?
>

> No, it has not, and will not.
>
> I see no sense in a modification that supports violations  of  the  C
> standard.

  especially when its so easy to cleanup text files by piping them
through 'tr':

    cat "$src_file" | tr -d \\015 > "$tmp_file"
    mv -f $tmp_file $src_file

  which removes those funky MsDos carriage returns.

(depending on your shell, you may be able to skip the tmp_file above)

  Just write a small shell-script that iterates through your source
files, applying this filter.

  Like you, I also develop on several platforms.  I find it convenient
to add a new 'fix' target to the makefiles, then run the above filter
on all source and header files in the project.

   <import file from MsDos/windoze>
   make fix           # with implied 'make clean'
   make

  works great, on lots and lots of projects...

ron