I2C RTC causes boot delay...

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Apr 8 22:57:21 EST 2003

In message <3E92BE98.4090907 at imc-berlin.de> you wrote:

> Yeah. I know. I should put into PPCBoot/U-Boot.

It's arelady there.

> But in the docs it says it's only for SOFT_I2C aka bitbang!

Right, because you cannot toogle the pins at  your  liking  with  the
CPM's I2C controller.

> a) can I toggle the pins using GPIO and still use HARD_I2C? or

Yes, you can. But this has not been implemented yet. And if  you  do,
you  will  find you have copied 90% of the soft_i2c driver so why not
use this from the beginning? Using HARD_I2C has _zero_ advantage  for
U-Boot.

> b) can I use SOFT_I2C in PPCBoot and CPM I2C (8xx-algo) under linux?

Yes, you can.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
THIS IS A 100% MATTER  PRODUCT:  In  the  Unlikely  Event  That  This
Merchandise  Should  Contact  Antimatter  in Any Form, a Catastrophic
Explosion Will Result.