initrd, ramdisk problems

curt brune curt at acm.org
Thu Sep 26 01:12:13 EST 2002

I managed to get this working -- what I did differently was:

 * changed kernel version from 2.4.18 to 2.4.4 (from the ELDK cvs
   repository)

And that was it.  It now works.  The ramdisk decompresses without
errors and the systems boots fine.  Happy day.

I noticed that the directory layout for the kernel changed somewhat
from 2.4.4 to 2.4.18 --  In 2.4.4 I put ramdisk.image.gz in
linux/arch/ppc/mbxboot, while in 2.4.18 the ramdisk goes in
linux/arch/ppc/boot/images .  Plus in 2.4.18 there are a lot of
directories in linux/arch/ppc/boot compared to 2.4.4 .

As a history lesson, why did this change ?

Another question: When booting the two different kernels (2.4.18 and
2.4.4-eldk) I noticed that the initial message about where the images
are loaded and relocated reported different addresses and sizes.  Is
that expected?

Cheers,
Curt