state of 4xx code in 2.5.x

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Thu Sep 12 12:48:27 EST 2002

    Paul> I am becoming increasingly concerned about the quality, or
    Paul> lack of it, of the 4xx code generally.  I think we need
    Paul> someone who has a good amount of experience in Linux kernel
    Paul> coding to go through all the 4xx code and clean it up and
    Paul> simplify it where possible.  I know that the 4xx family have
    Paul> quirks (e.g. DCRs) which make it difficult in places to do
    Paul> things simply, but with a bit of creativity we can make the
    Paul> code clearer and simpler than it is at the moment.

Sounds great!  I don't have the time (or the kernel hacking cred,
probably) to do much more than cheer you on, unfortunately.  However I
would suggest that you start by proposing a design before you start
moving code around.  I definitely agree that there is far too much
duplicated and confusing code, but I don't think things will improve
without a clear articulation of what belongs where (ie what goes in
include/asm-ppc/, arch/ppc/platforms/, arch/ppc/kernel/ etc., and what
the difference is between 4xx.h, 405.h, 405gp.h)

Best,
  Roland