ELDK Compiler

Kumar Gala kumar.gala at motorola.com
Sun Sep 8 04:45:50 EST 2002

> Nobody has provided PPC440-specific support for binutils.  Right now,
> everybody is using mcpu=[403|405] since they define an identical
> set of instructions. The -mbooke support in current binutils will
> not work on 440 since it is e500 specific.

This is not exactly true, the -mbooke option does NOT produce an e500
specific set of instructions that the assembler knows about but as
close to a generic booke set.  Unfortunately, Book-E leaves remove for
a few instructions to have implementation specific operands (for
example tlbwe/tlbre).  The e500 & 440 differ in the number of operands
these instructions require (e500 - 0, 440 - 3).  The currently binutils
treats these instructions as having no operands.

I am not aware of any other cases in which the current binutils would
not work for 440 code (possibly use of simplified mtspr/mfspr
instructions would not work with the -mbooke flag).

- kumar